On November 20th 2014 President Obama announced a new executive action that will help millions of parents of U.S. Citizens and residents gain access to a deferred action style program. While this program does not provide for residency or citizenship it does allow for a three year work permit and for those who receive it to freedom from the threat of deportation. We at the Neufeld Law Firm PLC are happy to provide information on who qualifies for this executive action.
To qualify you must:
- Be a parent of a citizen or permanent resident of the United States (this does not include people who have the deferred action).
- Must have been present in the United States prior to January 1st 2010 and have resided in this country since.
- Must be physically present in the United States on November 20th 2014 and the date your request is filed.
- Must not have any kind of lawful status on November 20th 2014.
- Must not have any felony or aggravated felony convictions.
- Must not have any “Significant” misdemeanor convictions such as DUI, domestic violence, burglary, unlawful possession or use of a firearm, sexual Abuse or exploitation, drug distribution or trafficking or any other misdemeanor for which 90 days or more of jail was sentenced.
- Must not have more than three other misdemeanors that are not traffic offenses.
- Must not have been deported or removed or taken a voluntary departure on or after 1/1/2014.
- Must not present any other factors that make the grant of deferred action inappropriate such as being involved with terrorist or drug trafficking organizations.
If you qualify, the Neufeld Law Firm PLC will be able to file your application and help you get you a work permit. The Obama Administration has announced that they will begin accepting applications sometime before May 20th 2015.